Special Collections in Clapp Library has some really amazing and rare old papers, books, and letters!
It takes a phenomenal amount of courage to be a woman today. For around this world, your world, my world, there are conflicts, brutalities, humiliations, terrors, murders. You can take any Rand McNally map and close your eyes and just point, and you will find there are injustices, but in your country, particularly in your country, young women, you have, as the old folks say, your work cut out for you. For fascism is on the rise, and be assured of it, sexism, racism, ageism, every vulgarity against the human spirit is on the rise. And this is what you have inherited.
However, on the other hand, what you have first is your courage. You may lean against it, it will hold you up, you have that. And the joy of achievement, the ecstasy of achievement. It enlightens and lightens at the same time. It is a marvelous thing. Today, your joy begins, today your work begins. You are phenomenal. I believe that women are phenomenal. I know us to be.
There is a poem called “Phenomenal Woman.” I wrote the poem for black women and white women and Asian and Hispanic women, Native American women. I wrote it for fat women, women who may have posed for the before pictures in Weight Watchers. I wrote it for anorexics. I wrote it for all of us, for women in kibbutzim, and burgher women, women on the pages and front covers of Vogue and Essence, and Ebony magazine. For we are phenomenal.
Maya Angelou, 1982 Wellesley College Commencement Address
We are getting ready for Reading Period with our new button maker and finals zines.
Best of luck, Wellesley, as you finish up your papers and study for final exams!
Photo via librarygrrrl
Therapy Dogs are Back for Reading Period!
- Emmi the black lab in the Clapp Library 3:00-4:30pm
- Peanut the King Charles Spaniel in Clapp Library 2:00pm-3:00pm
- Lily the Labradoodle in Clapp Library 2:00pm-3:00pm
- Thunder the white Golden Retriever Lulu - Anderson 1:30-2:30pm
- Tag the English Cocker Spaniel in the Music Library 11:00am-12:00pm
- Tracy the Golden Retriever in the Music Library 1:30-2:30pm
- Spider the long haired chihuahua in Lulu - Anderson 1:30-3:00pm
- Wolfie the Shih-Tzu in the Science Center 10:00am-11:00am
- Bailey the Golden Retriever in the Science Center 11am-1pm
- Sophie the Golden Retriever in Clapp Library 10:30am-12:00pm
- Millie the Golden Retriever in the Science Center 1:30pm-2:30pm
- Kyrie the Golden Retriever in the Music Library 12:30pm-1:30pm
Save the date! Thunder and his therapy dog pals will be back in the #wellesleycollege libraries this May 12th for reading period as part of the college’s “Take A Break” event programming. More details to come!
With the end of semester looming, why not do something good for yourself and for local shelter pets?
The Clapp Library now features a knitting station where you can help make a blanket for animals in need. on top of that, you get to sit in the 1st floor lounge, relax, and
people dog watch through the big picture window.
This new knitting station joins our existing one at the Science Library per the request of an anonymous request in our Clapp suggestion box (see, those do work!)